Tuesday, November 3, 2009

5 days until Miami, 7 days until Haiti

I am so nervous, excited, and scared. My brain is having a REALLY hard time shutting off and going to sleep so I'll update instead. I fly to Miami on the red-eye Sunday night, spend Monday night in Miami, and then fly to Haiti Tuesday morning. I am going with another family I will meet at the airport.

Tonight I got my hair done because being even blonder will help me fit right in...NOT! But my roots were driving me crazy and I was vain enough not to want our pictures of our first meeting to have roots in my hair. Gack! Just writing that sentence down makes me seem so shallow:) I do have other things on my mind, like what the heck to pack. I got a passport holder that goes around my neck, a travel bag for the shower, and some bug spray with DEET. Yep, DEET, the stuff that's really bad for you. But it's that or get malaria from the mosquitoes. I tried some on my wrist to make sure I'm not allergic and this one doesn't even have much of a smell. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to check the weather reports, as its still hurricane season.

Besides all the packing questions and making sure I have everything I need, there's the what is going to happen when I see Elliott for the first time? Will he cry? What is he going to think when this white lady he's never seen before wants to hold him and tell him she loves him? Will he laugh and play with me? Will he get some idea of just how much he is loved? How much I think of him, every day, every hour? Will he know that I believe God has brought us together? Will I overwhelm him with my own emotions? Will he feel the healing he has already brought to my heart after 20 years of wanting a child? What the hell am I going to do when I have to say good-bye?

Only time will tell. And if you read this, please send a prayer our way for us to connect and have a wonderful time together. Please say a prayer for my safe journey. I am grateful, oh so grateful, for this amazing and joyous experience. Blessings to all who read this! Peace be with you!

2 comments:

Jschmalle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jschmalle said...

Well, I don't think you're vain for doing your hair (not that Elliott is even going to notice :)) I would've done the same thing!

You ARE and have been in our prayers. You will have such a wonderful time seeing YOUR son for the first time!

I bet he gives you a big Elliott smile when he sees you! Just holding him will make everything better.

Love you & safe travels!

Lilypie

My iTunes